Ready to become a cozy gamer this year? I’m going to share all the essentials you need to know to begin your cozy gaming journey in 2023.
Disclaimer: This post contains some affiliate links which I may earn a small commission from.
Cozy Gaming has always been a part of my life, even before I became a gaming blogger.
I’ve been using relaxing games as a form of self-care for many years now. But I didn’t always call myself a cozy gamer.
I think we are incredibly fortunate to live in a world that embraces gaming as a hobby now.
Growing up, the world of gaming seemed predominantly geared toward boys and men. Had it not been for my mother gifting us a Nintendo Entertainment System one magical Christmas in the early ’90s, I might never have discovered the joy of gaming during my childhood.
What is a Cozy Gamer?
A cozy gamer is someone who enjoys playing video games that help them slow down and unwind.
Being a cozy gamer is fairly niche but it’s rising fast. I predict that by 2024 cozy gamers will be all over social media.
You don’t really need a guide to be a gamer, but if I’m being totally honest I wish I’d had one.
It would’ve saved me a lot of money (I wasted so much on tech I didn’t need!).
Let’s take a look at all the essentials you need to know to begin your cozy gaming journey.
Your Beginner’s Guide to Becoming a Cozy Gamer
1. Choose The BEST Gaming Console For Your Needs
The gaming platform you choose makes a huge difference to how, where, when and what you play.
You can’t create a gaming setup unless you know what you’re building it for.
When I first decided I wanted to be a content creator and gaming blogger I knew I needed a PC setup. I built my first desk myself from a pair of cheap IKEA legs and an old stained coffee table top. It wasn’t great.
The top wobbled and had an uneven surface, and the wide table legs cut up my feet, and my IKEA chair hurt my back.
Honestly, it wasn’t the best. I was on a tight budget.
I believe that anything you hodgepodge together yourself is made with love, so the end result doesn’t really matter. It did the job and that was enough, in the beginning.
You might not want to be a content creator or play PC games but you can still carve out a cozy space to play on a portable console or phone.
I spend more time playing games on my Nintendo Switch than any other console these days. Despite having a PC with access to more cozy games than I could ever hope to play.
Sometimes you may find sitting at a desk for long periods of time isn’t actually that comfortable and that’s why you may prefer a Switch Lite or even a Steam Deck (I just bought one myself).
Below is a list of gaming platforms in no particular order.
Make a note of the ones you have now and the ones you want in the future. This will form the basis of your cozy gaming space.
12 Popular Gaming Platforms For Cozy Gamers
- Gaming PC
- Gaming Laptop
- PlayStation 5
- Xbox Series X
- Standard Nintendo Switch
- OLED Nintendo Switch
- Switch Lite
- Steam Deck
- Android Mobile phone
- iOS Mobile phone
Start With What You Have
I want you to know that it doesn’t matter where you are starting from, you can be a cozy gamer.
You don’t need the latest consoles or the biggest screen size, and you definitely don’t need to know how to build your own PC – younger me would have wished someone told her that.
Use whatever device you are using to read this right now. There is no need to go out and spend money you don’t have on more consoles.
Yes, they are pretty to look at, but not necessary.
2. Design Your Own Cozy Gaming Aesthetic
Your cozy gaming setup is where you go to take a break from the world. It’s your spot to get away from daily chaos.
Your setup isn’t just for chilling; it’s also for getting stuff done. A cozy desk and comfy chair help you focus, especially if you’re planning to make content or study.
8 Cozy Gaming Setup Ideas
Cozy Gaming Setup inspiration is easy to find. Pinterest is your best friend when looking for ideas.
Though it can be easy to get discouraged seeing how beautiful someone else’s cozy aesthetic is, remember, they had to start from scratch too once.
Whether you’re an experienced gamer in need of a redesign or a casual gamer building your first gaming space, your setup is the heart of your room. From soft furnishing to adjustable desks, here are some ideas on how to create your own cozy gaming setup in 2023.
- Pick your cozy space. Probably the most important decision you will make is exactly where you will build your setup. This first tip isn’t to be taken lightly or you could cause yourself undue stress down the road when you discover the extension cable you bought doesn’t reach your PC (true story) or you need to put a guest bed in for the cat (even truer story!).
- Decide on a color scheme. The colors of a room can dramatically affect your mood and energy levels. They also reflect your personality. So if you’re down-to-earth and attentive, a bright shade of orange probably isn’t going to cut it. Colors regularly seen in the coziest of rooms on Pinterest are white, beige, brown and green, or a variety of subtle, neutral colors that add warmth and calm the mind.
- Stick to a theme. So you’re sitting on the floor of your cozy space, freshly painted and cat hair-free. Now what? It’s time to get creative! I recommend creating a Pinterest Board like this one to house inspiration on different themes you like. Are you a cottagecore damsel, or a green-fingered plant mom? Are you a minimalist or a maximalist? Antique collector or IKEA Hacker? It’s important to settle on your dream theme first if you can, that way when it comes to filling up your space you don’t waste money on frivolous things that empty your pockets.
- Take Advantage of Natural Light. Before picking out your desk or cozy chair consider your light sources. If you’re thinking about being a content creator down the line positioning your desk in front of a window will save you a ton on lighting. Plus natural light lifts your mood and is much better for your eyes if you’re staring at a screen for long hours.
- Choose your ideal desk. Your desk will function as the focal point of your room. Desks have really evolved over the recent years as more people transition to working from home. You may not know where to look first. Personally, I suggest taking notes on what you want from your desk – width, storage, height, sturdiness, etc. Then check out some of these I’ve saved for you on Amazon.
- Pick out the comfiest chair. By far the most important part of every cozy gamer’s setup is a comfy, supportive chair. If you have no need for a desk chair then maybe invest in a good armchair. I’m generally on my sofa when I’m playing on my Switch so last year my fiance and I went halves on a new sofa.
- Make Storage a Priority. This is often the most overlooked part of a gamer’s setup. It’s functional but not very aesthetic. But when you have loads of spare wires and controllers you don’t want on display where will you put them if you don’t have some draws?
- Invest in your cable management. Lastly, don’t forget to consider what’s happening under your desk. Wires can be messy and decidedly unaesthetic. Nothing will take you out of your cozy gaming bubble faster than your foot kicking a cable out mid-game (yeah, I did that).
3. Find New Cozy Games
Congratulations! You found your ideal gaming platform and redesigned your space to match your dream cozy aesthetic. Now it’s time to kick back and relax with a cozy game.
What cozy game do you play? How do you find cozy games?
Until recently it was hard to decipher what genre cozy games were nevermind find one among the thousands of games available across different platforms.
That’s why I started my blog.
I wanted to help cozy gamers like you find their next game without the endless scrolling of the Nintendo eShop or spending hours watching YouTubers recount their top games.
There had to be an easier way!
What cozy game do you play first?
If you’ve never played a cozy game or feel like you may have missed out here are a few I feel all cozy gamers should play through at least once.
Coffee Talk – Coffee Talk is a visual novel set in 2020 fantasy Seattle, where you are the owner of the only coffee shop that opens at midnight, your most frequent customer… Freya. Freya is a passionate writer for the local paper who gets her inspiration from your customers. She’s charming but totally mischievous, and that’s why I love her.
I had the game set to autoplay after a time so it felt more like watching a movie until I had a drink to make. It’s charming to be able to pour milk and watch your own patterns spiral into view.
SEASONAL GAMES 17 Cozy Switch Games for Fall
A Short Hike – A Short Hike is an open-world exploration with a simple story – walk to the top of the mountain. Along the way, you learn skills and acquire the resources you need to get you there.
A Short Hike is a story about conquering the trials of nature with an act as simple and basic as walking. In a way, it’s a love letter to get outside, put down your phone, and look up.
MUST PLAY GAMES 10 Classic Games on Nintendo Switch
Hindsight – Hindsight is the melancholic story of Mary, a young woman who must sort through her late mother’s home.
Relive memories and heavy emotions tied to objects Mary finds.
Hindsight is a narrative exploration game spanning the entirety of a woman’s life. If you love getting lost in someone else’s story then Hindsight might just be your favorite game of the year!
MORE INTERACTIVE FICTION 22 Cozy Visual Novels on Nintendo Switch
Spiritfarer – You play as Stella, the new Spiritfarer. Along with your companion Daffodil the cat you’ll sail to undiscovered islands freeing stuck spirits and gathering materials to craft aboard your boat.
You’ll learn about your connection to these spirits and why they are so important to you as the story progresses. The hardest part of the game is having to say goodbye to them as you guide them to the afterlife.
MORE COZY GAMES 25 Cozy Management Sim Games on Switch
Do you feel like a Cozy Gamer yet?
I’d love to hear about your cozy gaming journey.
If you do decide to go ahead and create a gaming room inspired by everything cozy after reading this then go ahead and tag @hercozygaming on Instagram and TikTok. You never know. I may just mention your setup in a future blog post 😀